Thursday 15 August 2024

The Festival of Quilts 2024

Birmingham NEC

My friend and I decided that this year we would go for three days to visit the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham. And we also decided to sign up for two quick one hour workshops each day. However, that took up far more time than we realised and we ended up with little time in between to do the things we wanted so maybe not so many next time, but they were all fantastic.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and learnt several new crafts and also met up with so many lovely friends and acquaintances as well as having a great time shopping. 

We stayed in the Crowne Plaza which overlooks the Pendigo lake. My room was perfect for this stay and had the largest tv I've ever seen in an hotel room. The breakfast buffet was good and the dinner buffet we enjoyed twice was also good. 

As you can see below we found the shopping centre right next to the hotel and after buying some Lindt chocolates and a couple of dresses in the Next sale we had to stop for a drink overlooking the water. 

The weather was beautiful and the only rain, which was very heavy, fell whilst we were having breakfast one morning and conveniently stopped before we left to catch the shuttle bus to the Festival. The shuttle buses picked us up and dropped us off each day outside the hotel and NEC.

A quick selfie overlooking Pendigo Lake and enjoying 
the afternoon sunshine on Wednesday

Day one (Thursday) we found our way to the hospitality lounge where we had Bronze membership. That gave us a free cotton bag in which there was a jar of caramelised apple, a magazine and a card with embroidery threads (unfortunately it was the same gifts on all three days but I gave the extras away which was nice) and vouchers for tea or coffee or water. So we started with a coffee and a plan of action marking all the vendors in our programmes that we wanted to get to over our time at the Festival.

Our first workshop was making an all year round Liberty bauble. The tutor was very good and clear, as they all were, and we were soon busy cutting up our Liberty fabric and making up the bauble as far as we could within the hour and making sure we had enough instructions to complete it afterwards.



My finished bauble which I gave a Christmas theme
by adding gold braid 


This was a great start and a project I think I will be making again.

After a quick look at some of the quilts and visiting some of the vendors I ran outside into the Atrium to Starbucks to grab a sandwich which we ate in the Bronze Visitors Lounge and then we were off again to our second workshop.

The second one was called Japanese Cherry Blossom and was a technique using a curved ruler and acrylic flower templates. Again the tutor was very thorough, inspiring and clear in her instruction. I made sure to take lots of photos so that I would be able to finish it when I got home. I love the result which I embellished with hand and machine stitching and beads.


My finished Cherry Blossoms panel
I used a top stitch to enhance the 'frame' and beading and 
embroidery to give texture to the centre of the
blossoms

Another wonderful workshop with lots to learn and new techniques to try.

After this we had another walk through the quilts on display and some more retail therapy before heading back to the hotel for dinner and a restful evening stitching.

Day two (Friday) saw a repeat of yesterday's start. Our first workshop was Stencil and Stitch which used everyday craft items to create a metallic woodland scene ready to be stitched at home. This was a fabulous class and the finish is only waiting on me getting to a shop to get the rest of the supplies I need. Again a really helpful, enthusiastic and knowledgeable tutor.

I have yet to add stitching and a fine glitter netting
for the framing

Another rush for lunch and it was soon time for our afternoon workshop which was an Indian Bird Hanging. This was great fun and we had such pretty Indian stamped fabric to use. I finished it at home adding some lovely beads I'd been wondering what they could be used for - never throw anything out!


Here is the Indian Bird Hanging in my workroom
I am really pleased with how lovely and cheerful it is

We had some more time for shopping and looking at the quilts. My favourite part of the show was the antique quilts which were on display. They dated as far back as the 18th century and were a fascinating look back into the history of this craft. Not only did the quilts tell you about how people lived but also the socio-economics of the eras and sometimes the political and religious stance of the maker. There are a lot of coded messages sewn into 'women's work' if you look closely. Here are some examples of these exquisite pieces:




Without the aid of electric lighting, magnifiers and modern
needlework accessories these women (and sometimes men)
made the most beautiful stitched quilts often
out of necessity rather than for pleasure alone

That evening we stayed on at the Festival because we had tickets to see Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company's Trunk Show (that is a look back at the quilts she has made over the years). It was fun and informative and a real family affair. We all came away with lots of inspiration for how to use simple geometrical shapes to create lots of interesting blocks for a quilt.

Getting ready to watch the Trunk Show with Pauline and Pat - oh
and a glass of rosé!


Our hostess, Jenny Doan

Then it was back on the shuttle bus to the hotel where we enjoyed a buffet supper with very jolly and attentive staff who were super busy with Festival Quilt goers and a huge delegation of Jehovah Witnesses staying for their annual conference. Everyone was just so friendly and happy throughout our whole stay and it was a joy to experience how wonderful humanity can be.

The next morning (Saturday) I walked to the NEC along the lakeside which was delightful and met the others in the Bronze lounge for a coffee and our last workshop which was 'Enamel looking paper beads' our tutor had taken the Stencil and Stitch class and was super friendly and happy to see us return to one of her sessions. The technique was just so fascinating, simple and effective. This could well be addictive. Lots of things to be making at home in my workroom.



Simple ingredients cooked up some gorgeous beads
reminiscent of those sherbet lollies you enjoyed
as a child but looking cool as a bead for a necklace

We had a quick sandwich lunch before catching the shuttle back to the hotel where my lovely husband was waiting to pick us up and drive us home. We were absolutely exhausted, exhilarated and elated. So much to bring home and it was a good job I brought my gigantic quilted bag with me to absorb all that shopping.


Never knowingly overpacked

Well I suppose I ought to show you what I bought now - ha! as if I wouldn't be able to resist showing you some crafty gorgeousness from the Festival, here goes:

The Left Hookery kit for a crochet bowl bag
A Christmas cushion kit by Brenda Walker

A felted fox - an impulse buy - can't wait to make it

A Liberty mini quilt - the next in the series I am making

The felt from the Luna Lapin stand for a toy from this book

A Calico and Quilt kit for a Thread Roll

and a pattern for a Figgy Pudding Christmas Pudding
by Susan Smith

A cross stitch kit from The Cross Stitch Guild

And another

A purse kit from Dandelion Designs I've been eyeing
up for some years now

A Gail Pan Christmas mini quilt pattern

Oh dear, how did that get in my bag,
it's the new 'Postcard from the Highlands' fabric range
and it is simply beautiful

Some Ruby Star fabric for a workshop coming up
at my quilting group

And finally sitting in the garden at home working on one of 
the kits and in the background the finished
crochet kit bag in which I am housing my stitching.

If you have not been to the Festival of Quilts I would thoroughly recommend a visit. Be prepared for long, tiring days but so full of quilty goodness that you will never forget how wonderful a time you had and you will come home with lots of stash enhancement and fun kits to make, well I certainly did. I am already planning another visit next year.























No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails