Monday 3 August 2020

Crafting in the time of Covid 19

Nine months on...

Time to catch up here and to record some of the crafting and life events over the past nine months. I am going to log them under headings or I'll get completely lost. Right now as I write we are enjoying some lessening of lock down rules here in the UK but some have completely behaved in very shocking and worrying ways which I think might have the R number racing upwards again. Stay at home has brought the really sad number of deaths down and my heart is aching for those who have been affected by this terrible disease. I am also extremely grateful to all who have worked tirelessly to keep spirits raised and in the world of culture and creativity it has led to some amazingly wonderful things for those who have been staying at home.


Dress Making

Since September when I last wrote I have continued to try to improve my skills in this area and have made a Merchant & Mills dress, a top and some jogging trousers.

This is the which I adapted by not sewing a waistband and having three quarter length sleeves and making a boat neck. It is a super pattern and one I would really say makes a great wardrobe staple. I made mine from Liberty fleece.

These are the Hudson Pants and they are a really useful 'at home' staple for your wardrobe. They will be great for just relaxing indoors and are very snuggly and comfortable.

Knitting

 I made these socks as a test knit for Jooles of Sew Sweet Violet and I gifted them to my dear friend for her birthday and I hope she enjoys wearing them. They are the Stripy Shorties.

 This was another test knit for Sew Sweet Violet and it is the Timely Tulip sock, I didn't take my pattern around the entire leg but I do like the effect.

 Here is a little sewing project I started when we went into lockdown and just couldn't concentrate on anything too complicated. The result is a really sweet little ornament to decorate the house. And I bought two skeins of a, new to me, cashmere yarn to make a free cowl pattern - it feels so soft.


 This was an unusual and really pretty jumper from which I made from A Sheep in Bear's Clothing yarn, I particularly enjoyed the little Fairisle section peeping from under the hem, a delightful design idea.

Spinning


 This month, June, sees the Tour de Fleece starting and here is my (very basic) French wheel ready for the off.

Cross Stitching

 Nicola from Hands Across the Sea Samplers has been issuing some small samplers via a PdF and this is Mary Beard which was a delight to work on and I can't wait to get her framed once we can shop again.

More Knitting


 This is a wonderful addition to my hand made wardrobe and was so enjoyable to knit on. I held a lace weight yarn with a four ply and the result is a gorgeous knitted fabric which is very nice to wear.

 My favourite designer Louisa Harding came out with a knit one, give one button flower and I plan on giving one to Paula of The Snail Garden when I see her, hopefully, at a retreat in October. 

English Paper Piecing



I have been enjoying matching my crafting to my reading too. This is English Paper Piecing and is a Lucy Boston patchwork of the crosses design and how lovely to read her book alongside my sewing.

Stay tuned for another post soon - this catching up is quite a task.

Teresa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails