Sunday 27 August 2017

All Things Rowan Autumn/Winter 2017



Rowan Autumn/Winter 2017 season is here! So I thought I'd take a little tour through my new acquisitions with a quick catch up on my Rowan projects too.

I have a subscription to Rowan Magazine and I particularly enjoy the Autumn/Winter editions. There is a free gift with the subscription and I chose the "mohair haze" and four 25g balls arrived with two patterns by Martin Storey for a hat and wristlets. The magazine also came with a newsletter and a Members' Exclusive Collection of patterns.



Having seen the beautiful gift yarn I recalled a pattern by Kim Hargreaves called Mist which is a lovely slouchy ribbed hat in her book "Still" and decided that I would use two of the balls combined with fine lace to knit that instead of the Martin Storey pattens although I might be able to make the wristlets from his pattern with the other two balls of yarn.

I'm making some progress and am intrigued to find myself knitting a new stitch to me which is creating the interesting rib in this hat pattern. The hat is knit in the flat and seamed.

Rowan Magazine is usually divided into stories and this edition has two: Kinship - which is a story inspired by Rowan's original roots, housed in a beautiful old woollen mill and the surrounding landscape of the stunning Yorkshire Dales.

And Dawn til Dusk - which was inspired by knitwear that can take you from the office to evening drinks or slouchy layer pieces that can be worn for an afternoon stroll or as a cover-up over evening wear.


I have already fallen for a cheery scarf design by Martin Storey called Veiled which will look great with my winter coat.
The other designers featuring in this edition are: Lisa Richardson, Sarah Hatton, Marie Wallin, Jennie Atkinson, Galina Carroll, Emma Wright and Georgia Farrell.


As well as the patterns there are articles and I very much enjoyed the one about Churchmouse Yarns where they sell tea as well as wool! That's a perfect combination in my view.



The newsletter comes out twice a year and usually has a free pattern and a couple of essays or interviews as well as details of new yarns and books. It takes a look at the new Autumn/Winter 2017 season, talks about catwalk trends, looks back at previous editions, compares heritage Rowan with the Rowan of today, gives a list of Rowan magazines and brochures and lists workshops at John Lewis. It packed with articles and also runs a fun competition with a signed copy of Lisa Richardson's booklet Timeless Cocoon as the prize.


The interview with Martin Storey was very interesting and I do think the beautiful oversized scarf in the feature will be very popular.





As well as the newsletter there is the Members Exclusive Collection which contains five patterns by Martin Storey and Lisa Richardson.





 I particularly liked this one by Martin Storey which is knit in Alpaca Soft DK which is one of the new yarns:


The Timeless DK booklet is a collection of six designs by Martin Storey and has some very pretty everyday cardigans which I think will look stunning in the new alpaca soft dk which Martin says is his favourite of the new yarns as it looks fabulous in colour work, cable and textured stitches and is lovely to knit with. I can't wait to try it.


I think the colour palette is so pretty. It is a soft mix of extra fine and super fine merino wool and baby alpaca.


Bibi, the pattern below is my favourite and the model, Lara looks gorgeous in it. It has two dots which Rowan suggests has simple techniques with straight forward knitting and introduces various shaping techniques and is for the knitter with a little experience.


Then there is another new yarn called Cashmere Tweed and the booklet that accompanies that yarn has seven modern Scandinavian and Icelandic inspired patterns. I love the hat and scarf on the cover. Cashmere tweed is a premium yarn made with virgin wool and cashmere.



Here is another beautiful pattern with a lovely celtic colour work pattern designed with a very contemporary feel.


So now for a little Rowan works-in-progress update. I am working on Amaryllis from Marie Wallin's book Springtime which uses both fairisle and intarsia techniques and which I am hoping to have completed before starting Marie's new Fairisle Club 3 in November when we will be knitting the cardigan called Lerwick.





So a busy knitting time ahead but first I must go on an enforced knitting break as I have developed some problems with my left thumb joint (I am a right handed knitter) and I am so glad there are such a lot of new Rowan publications to keep me occupied while I heal!










No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails